Religious Movements (600BC-400BC)
1.Where did Lord Buddha breathe his last (Mahaparinirvan)?
(a) Rajgir (b) Bodh Gaya (c) Sarnath (d) Kushinagar (SSC Grad. 2001, NDA 2009)
2.Where has the world’s largest monolithic statue of Buddha been installed ?
(a) Bamiyan M. (b) Hyderabad (c) Kandy (d) Lhasa (SSC Grad 2004]
3.Which among the following is the sacred book of the Buddhists?
(a) Upanishad (b) Vedas (c) Tripitaka (d) Agams [SSC Grad. 2005, RRB Mumbai Supervisor/IESM 2006]
(a) the enlightened one (b) the religious preacher (c) the genius SA (d) the powerful [SSC Sec. off. (Aud.) 2006]
5.Name the clan Buddha belonged to
(a) Gnathrika (b) Maurya (c) Sakyat (d) Kuru [SSC Grad. 2008]
6.In which state was the Nalanda University located in India ?
(a) Bengal (b) Bihar (c) Orissa (d) Uttar Pradesh [SSC Tax Assit. 2009]
7.Mahavira was born in 6th century BC at- seoon D [Bihar SSC LDC 2005]
(a) Vaishali (b) Magadha (c) Sarnath (d) None of these
8.The religious literature of the Jains at the early stage was written in
(a) Ardhamagadhibu (b) Pali (b) Palit (c) Sanskrit baski (d) None of these 15 [SCRA 2001]
9.Which of the following places is associated with Jainism?
(a) Kapilvastu (b) Pava (c) Prayag (d) Shravasti [SCRA 2003]
10.Who was the author of ‘Buddha Charita’ ?
(a) Asvaghosha (5) (b) Nagasena ) (c) Nagarjuna (d) Vasumitra [SCRA 2005, WB PCS (P) 2008]
11.Who is also known as Nigantha Nataputra ? [SCRA 2007]
(a) Vardhamana Mahavira (b) Gautam Buddha (c) Nagarjuna (d) Shankaracharya
12.The principle that distinguishes Jainism from Buddhism is the
(a) practice of the eight-fold path to (b) rejection of the infallibility of the Vedas (c) attribution of a soul to all beings and things (d) belief in rebirth (RRB Mumbai Supervisor/IESM 2006]
13.Buddha lived approximately at the same time as
(a) Confucius (b) Mosesamo (c) Prophet Mohammad (d) Hammurabide [RRB Mumbai Supervisor/IESM 2006]
14.Buddha’s preachings were mainly related to
(a) belief in one God (b) practice of rituals as HW (c) purity of thought and conducts (d) idol worship [RRB Mumbai Supervisor/IESM 2006]
15.The third vehicle in Buddhism was known as
(a) Mahasanghika (b) Zen (c) Vajrayanazon (d) None of these
(RRB Mumbai Supervisor/IESM 2006 )
- Which State is called the ‘Cradle of Buddhism’? (5) [Indraprasth Univ. (Delhi) Mass Comm. 2007]
(a) Sikkim (b) Bihar lyst (c) Uttar Pradesh (d) Madhya Pradesh
- Who of the following was a contemporary of Gautama
(a) Bhadrabahu bar(b) Chandragupta Maurya (c) Parsvanath
(d) Vardhaman Mahavira [CPF Assit. Commt. 2008, NDA 2008, 2009]
- Gandhara school of art came into existence in— c)
(a) Hinayana sect (b) Mahayana sect (c) Vaishanava sect (d) Shaiva sect
(CPO SI 2002]
- Consider the following places : 1. Lumbini2. Bodh Gaya ) 3. Sarnath
- Kushinagar In the context of the life of Buddha, the correct chronological sequence of these places is—
(a) 1-2-3-4. (b) 1-2-4-3 (c) 2-1-3-4 (d) 2-1-4-3/NDA 2000]
- With reference to Indian literary works, what is Digha Nikaya?
(a) An important Buddhist text in Pali (b) Miscellaneous work in prose and verse associated with Mudrarakshasha (c) Collection of long sermons ascribed to Mahavira (d) Collection of short stories ascribed to Kautilya[NDA 2002]
- Consider the following statements1. Jainism in ancient India condemned the varna system. 2. Jainreligiousliterature was writteninArdhamagadhi. 3. Mahavira admitted women into the order of his followers. Which of these statements is / are correct? (a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 3 only (d) 2 and 3 [NDA 2003]
- Which one of the following is NOT included in the eight fold path of Buddhism ?
(a) Right speech (b) Right contemplation (c) Right desire (d) Right conduct
[NDA 2004] –
- Where did Gautama Buddha delivered his first sermon, known as Dharma Chakra Pravartan (i.e., Turning of the wheel of the law)?
(a) Sanchi (b) Sarnath Son (c) Sravasti (d) Bodh Gaya
- Whoamong the following taught the doctrine of Shunyata (Shunyavad)?
(a) Nagarjuna (b) Shankaracharya (c) Harisena (d) Vallabhacharya
Elsne [CDS 2006)
- Who of the following kings was an ardent follower of Jainism? en
(a) Bimbisararameista. (b) Mahapadmananda (c) Kharavelasons (d) Pulkeshin II [CDS 2006]
- Among the following who is given the credit of carrying Jainism in South India ?
(a) Sudharmana (b) Indrabhuti (c) Bhadrabahu (d) Sthulabhadra(CDS 2008)
- In Buddhism, what does Patimokkha stand for?
(a) A description of Mahayana Buddhism Dienos (b) A description of Hinayana Buddhism (c) The rules of the Sangha (d) The questions of king Menander [CDS 2009]
- Which one of the following is NOT common in Buddhism and Jainism ?
(a) Non-violence (Ahimsa) (b) Indifference to Vedas (c) Self-mortification (d) Rejection of rituals[44th BPSC 2001]
- The first Buddhist Council was held in which of the following cities?
(a) Nalanda (b) Gaya (c) Rajgriha (d) Bodh Gaya [44th BPSC 2001]
- Mahavira Jaina breathed his last at- o me
(a) Rajgir (b) Ranchibbu ) (c) Pawapurih (d) Samastipur [45th BPSC 2002]