Indian History Important General Knowledge
1. Among the following which Samvat is called ‘Kalchuri Samvat because it had used by Kalchuris?
(a) Vikrama Samvat (b) Saka Samvat (c) Traikutaka Samvat (d) None of these
- Chalukya-Vikrama Samvat was introduced by whom of the following?
(a) Tailap-IIS (b) Someshwar- (c) Vikramaditya-VI (d) Someshwar-II
- Among the following who is credited to commence a new Samvat (era)?
(a) Dharmapala (b) Devpala (c) Vijaya Sen (d) Lakshman Sen [UPPCS 1999)
- Which one of the following will be the year of Saka Samvat in December 2009?
(a) 1931 (b) 1952 (c) 2066 (d) 2087 [UPPCS (M) 2007]
- When 2070 Vikrama Samvat is converted into Saka Samvat, the value would be
(a) 2070 BC (b) 2070 AD (c) 2013 BC (d) 2013 AD
- What is the difference (in years) between Vikrama Era and Saka Era?
(a) 57 Years (b) 78 Years (c) 135 Years (d) 320 years
- The Badami rock inscription of Pulkeshin-Iis dated in the Saka year 465. If the same were to be dated in Vikrama Samvat, the year would be
(a) 600 (b) 300 (c) 330 (d) 407 [UPSC 1997)
8.2063 Vikrama Samvat is mentioned in the calendar of the Rajasthan Government, its Shake (Saka Samvat) would be [RAS/RTS 2011)
(a) 1908 Shake (b) 1918 Shake (c) 1928 Shake (d) 1938 Shake
- In archaeology, Stratigraphy is used to comprehend which of the following?
(a) extent limit of a culture (b) gradual deposit of physical remains (c) physical features of a settlement dwellers (d) numeral property of milch cattles [UPSC 2004)
- Carbon-Dating system was developed by
(a) Herodotus (b) Hegel (c) V.A. Smith (d) Willard Libby
- In the following which is used to date archaeological remains of wood, bone, and shell?
(a) Carbon-14 (b) Argon-40 (c) Strontium-90 (d) Uranium-238
- Carbon-dating is used to determine the age of –
(a) fossils (b) plants (c) rocks OCKS (d) None of these (Utt PSC 2008)
- Then Pre-History ends and History begins when
(a) men learned to walk (b) men learned to talk to each other (c) men learned to write (d) men learned to make houses
- In the context of India, the Historic Period begins from
(a) 30 lac BC onwards (b) 3 thousand BC onwards (c) 600 BC onwards (d) 647 AD onwards
- Indus Civilization is known as ‘Proto-Historic Civilization because remains of …… found in it?
(a) Writing (b) Copper (c) Art (d) Pottery making the
- Chaitra 1 of the national calendar based on the Saka Era corresponds to which one of the following dates of the Gregorian calender? [UPSC 2014]
(a) 22nd March (or 21st March) (b) 15th May (or 14th May) (c) 31st March (or 30th March) (d) 21st April (or 20th April)
- Who introduced the trend of the division of History into 3 periods-Ancient, Medieval, and Modern?
(a) Herodotus (b) Cicero (c) Pliny (d) Cellarius
- The credit of commencement of Gupta Samvat has given to whom?
(a) Chandragupta-I (b) Chandragupta-II (c) Samudragupta (d) Skandgupta
- Chandragupta-I has commenced the Gupta Samvat
(a) to commemorate his ascendence to the throne (b) on the occasion of Sakas uprooting (c) on the occasion of huns defeating (d) None of these
- Consider the following statements and select the correct answer from the codes given below1. Vikrama Samvat began in 58 BC 2. Saka Samvat began in 78 AD 3. The Gupta era began in 319 AD 4. The era of Muslim rule in India began in 1192 AD Codes : (a) 1 and 2 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Harshavardhana introduced Harsha Samvat in 606 AD on the occasion of –
(a) his ascendence to the throne (b) Kannauj accession (c) Sindh victory (d) victory over Eastern India
Get more important gk topic
in your mailbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.