Socio – Religious Movements and Organisations in India
(Year- Place- India Socio Religious Movements and Organisations)
- 1815- Calcutta -Atmiya Sabha- Rammohan Roy
- 1828 -Calcutta -Brahmo Samaj -Rammohan Roy
- 1829- Calcutta- Dharma Sabha -Radhakant Dev
- 1839 -Calcutta -Tattvabodhini Sabha- Debendranath Tagore 1840 -Punjab -Nirankaris Dayal
- Das,Darbara Singh,Rattan Chand etc.
- 1844 -Surat- Manav Dharma Sabha -Durgaram Mancharam
- 1849 -Bombay- Paramhansa Mandli Dadoba Pandurang
- 1857 -Punja-b Namdharis Ram Singha
- 1861- Agra- Radha Swami Satsang- Tulsi Ram
- 1866 -Calcutta- Brahmo Samaj -india Keshab Chandra Sen
- 1866- Deoband Dar –ul –Ulum Maulana Hussain Ahmed
- 1867 -Bombay -Prarthna Samaj- Atmaram Pandurang
- 1875 -Bombay -Arya Samaj -Madam H.P.Blavatsky and col H.H.Olcott
- 1875- New York (USA)-Theosophical Society- Anand Mohan Bose
- 1878 -Calcutta -Sadharan Brahmo Samaj -G.G.Agarkar
- 1884 -Pune (Poona) -Deccan Education Society
- 1886 -Aligarh- Muhammadan Educational Conference
- 1887 -Bombay -Indian National Conference
- 1887 -Lahore -Deva Samaj
- 1894 -Lucknow Nadwah –ul – Ulama Maulana Shibli Numani
- 1897 -Belur -Ramakrishna Mission Swami Vivekanand
- 1905 -Bombay -Servents of Indian Society -Gopal Krishna Gokhale
- 1909- Pune (poona) Poona Seva Sadan Mrs Ramabai Ranade and G.K.Devadhar
- 1911 -Bombay- Social Service League- N.M.Joshi
- 1914 -Allahabad- Seva Samiti-H.N.Kunzru
Inportant Socio – Religious Reformers in India
- Swami Sahajanand(1781 -1830): his original name being Gyanashyama, founded the Swaminarayan sect in Gujarat, which believed in a theistic God and Prescribed a moral code for its followers.
- Raja Rammohan Roy (1772 – 1833) : born in 1772 at Radhanagar in burdwan district (West Bengal) founded Atmiya Sabha in Calcutta in 1815 to propagatemonotheism and reforms in the Hindu society.The Atmiya Sabha was named Brahmo Sabha and finally brahmo samaj in 1828. Launched a movements for the abolition of Sati Through his journal Sabad Kaumudi(1819).
- Debendranath Tagore(1817-1905): took over the leadership of the Brahmo Samaj after Raja Ramohan Roy.Founded Tattvabodhini Sabjha in 1839 and published Tattvabodhini Patrika, a Bengali Monthly to propagate the ideas of Raja Rammohan Roy. In 1859, the Tattvabodhini Sabjha was amalgamated with the Brahmo Samaj. He compiled selected passage from the Upanishads, which came to be known as Brahma Dharma.
- Keshav Chandra Sen (1838-1884) : Keshav Chandra Sen was leader of the Brahmo samaj during the absence of Debendranath Tagore. Started Bama bodhini Patrika, a journal for women. He launched redical reforms, such as giving up of caste names, inter –caste and widow remarriages and launched movement against child marriages.These radical reforms led to the first schism in the Brahmo Samaj the original Brahmo Samaj came to be known as Adi Brahmo Samaj And the other, the Brahmo Samaj of India was established by Keshav Chandra Sen in 1866, Sen formed the Indian Reform Association in 1870, which persuaded the British Government to enact the Native Marriage Act of 1972(Popularly known as Civil Marriage Act) legalizing the Brahmo Marriages and fixing the minimum marriageable age for boys and girls.
- Atmaram Pandurang (1823-1898): Atmaram Pandurang founded Prarthana Samaj in 1867 in Bombay. M.G.Ranade joined it in 1870.
- Swami Dayanand Saraswati(1824-1883): Swami Dayanand Saraswati, originally known as Mula Shankar founded the Arya Samaj in 1875 in Bombay, Wrote Satyartha Prakash(in Hindi) and Veda – Bhashya Bhumika(Partly in Hindi and partly in Sanskrit).
- Blavatsky(1831-91) & Olcott(1832-1907) : Madam H.P .Blavatsky a Russian women and Col.H.S. Olcott, an American , founded the Theosophical Society in New York in 1875, but shifted the head quarter of the Society to Adyar near Madras in 1882.
- Swami Vivekanand(1863-1902) : Swami Vivekanand (originally Narendranath Dutta), founded the Ramakrishna in 1887 as a social service league which registered as a Trust in 1897.
Lower Caste/Caste Movements and Organisations
Movement/ Organisation Year Place Founder in India
- Satya Shodhak Samaj -1873 -Maharashtra- Jyotiba Phule
- Aravippuram Movements -1888 -Aravippuram,Kerala- Sri Narayan Guru
- Shri Narayan Dharma Paripalana Yogam (S.N.D.P.)movements -1902-03 -Kerala-Shri Narayan
- Guru, Dr.Palpu &Kumaran Asan
- The Depressed Class Mission Society- 1906 -Bombay -V.R.Shinde
- Bahujan Samaj- 1910- Satara, Maharashtra -Mukundrao Patil
- Justice (Party) Movement- 1915-16 -Madras,Tamil Nadu -C.N.Mudaliar, T.M. nair &P.Tyagaraja chetti
- Depressed Class Welfare institute(Bahiskrit Hitkarini Sabha) -1924 -Bombay -B.R.Ambedkar.
- Self Respect Movement -1925- Madras, Tamil Nadu- E.V.Ramaswami
- Harijan Sevak Samaj -1932- Pune- Mahatma Gandhi.
Get more important gk topic
in your mailbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.