India After 1950
- Andhra Pradesh : —-Created by the State of Andhra Pradesh Act,1953 by carving out some areas from the State of Madras.
- Gujarat and Maharashtra : —- The State of Bombay was divided two States, Maharashtra and Gujarat by the Bombay (Reorganization) Act, 1960.
- Kerala :—- Created by the State Reorganization Act, 1956 .It comprised Travancor and Cochin areas.
- Karnataka : —- Created from the Princely State of Mysore by the State Reoganisation Act,1956. It was renamed Karnataka in 1973.
- Nagaland : —– It was carved out from the State of Assam by the State of Nagaland Act,1962.
- Haryana :—– It was carved out from the state of Punjab by the Punjab (Reorganization) Act, 1962.
- Himachal : —– Himachal Pradesh was elevated to the status of state by the state of Himachal Pradesh Act,1970.
- Meghalaya : —– First carved out as a sub-state with in the state of Assam by 23rd constitutional Amendment , 1969. In 1971, it received the status of a full-fledged State.
- Manipur and Tripura : —– Both these States were elevated from the status of union Territories by the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganization) Act, 1971.
- Sikkim : —– First given the status of Associate State by the 35th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1974. Got the status of a full State by the State of Arunachal Pradesh Act.
- Mizoram : —– It was elevated to the status of a full State by the State of Mizoram Act, 1986.
- Arunachal Pradesh : —– It received the status of a full State by the State of Arunachal Pradesh Act.
- Goa : —– Goa was separated from the Union Territory of Goa . Daman and Diu remained as Union Territory. Daman and Diu and was made a full fledged State by the Goa, Act, 1987.
- Chhattisgarh : —– Formed by the Constitutional Amendment Act, 2000 by dividing Madhya Pradesh on November 1 ,2000.
- Uttarakhand : —– Formed by the Constitutional Amendment Act, 2000 by dividing Uttar Pradesh on November 9, 2000.
- Jharkhand : —– 2000 by dividing Bihar on November 15, 2000.
- Telangana : —– Formed by the Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act,2014 by dividing Andhra Pradesh on june 2, 2014.
Get more important gk topic
in your mailbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.