important constitutional amendments
important constitutional amendments deal with
- Amend. 7(1956) Implement State Reorganisation
- Amend. 25 (1971) Amended Art. 31 regarding
the right of the state to acquire private property
for public purpose.
- Amend. 42 (1976) Brought about drastic changes
in the Indian Constitution. Because of its wide
sweep and drastic nature, it came to be called a
Mini Constitution. Its main provisions are 1) the
words ‘secular’ and ‘socialist’ were added to
the Preamble. 2) the primacy of Directive
Principles over Fundamental Rights was
ensured 3) restrictions were placed on the
exercise of judicial review by the High Courts. It
was laid down that the Supreme Court alone
would be entitled to examine the constitutional
validity of union laws.
- Amend. 44 (1978) The Right of Property, a
fundamental right was taken away and it is
only a legal right now.
- Amend. 56 (1987) Accorded the status of
statehood to Goa. Provided a 40 member
Legislative Assembly to Goa.
- Amend. 61 (1988) Reduced the voting age from
21 to 18 years for the Lok Sabha as well as
- Amend. 71 (1992) Provides that the Konkani,
Manipuri, and Nepali shall be included in the
Eighth Schedule, thus raising the number of
languages from 15 to 18.
- Amend. 73 (1992) Lead to the formation of
- Amend. 74 (1992) Led to the formation of
- Amend. 79 (1999) Extended the reservation of
Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and
Anglo- Indians in Lok Sabha and State
Assemblies for ten more years ie, upto 2010.
- Amend. 84 (2000) Relates to the creation of new
states of Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and
- 93 Amendment Bill : Education - A
Get more important gk topic
in your mailbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.