Governor general’s of Bengal
important Governor general of Bengal and Indian history —–
Warren Hastings (1772 – 1785) :—-
- Brought the Dual Govt. of Bengal to an end by the Regulating Act, 1773.
- Established India’s first Supreme court Calcutta.
Lord Cornwallis ( 1786 – 1793 ) :—-
- First person to codify lawes (1793).
- Started the permanent settlement of Bengal.
- Father of Civil services in India.
Lord Wellesley ( 1798 -1803 ) :—-
- Introduced the system of subsidiary alliance.
- Madras presidency was formed during his tenure.
- First subsidiary treaty with Nizam of Hyderabad in 1800, he set up Fort William College in Calcutta, He was famous as Bengal Tiger.
Governor General’s of India
Lord William Bentinck ( 1828 – 1835 ) :—-
- Carried out the Social reforms like Prohibition of Sati (1829) and suppression of thugs (1830).
- Made English the medium of higher education in the country.
- Suppressed female infanticide and child sacrifice.
- Charter Act of 1833 was passed ; made him the first Governor General in India.
- Lord Charles Metcalfe (1835-36) He is known as liberator of press.
Lord Dalhousie ( 1848 – 1856 ) :—-
- Opened the first Indian Railway line in 1853 (from Bombay to Thane).
- Laid out the telegraph lines in 1853 (first was from Calcutta to Agra).
- Introduced the Doctrine of Lapse and captured Satara (1848) . Jaipur and Sambhalpur (1849), Udaipur in 1854, ‘Wood’s Dispatch’ was passed.
Get more important gk topic
in your mailbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.