Forest Type in India and forest in india
According to state records , the forest area covers 23.28% of the total land area of the country.
Tropical Evergreen forest in india :
· Rainy slopes of western Ghats. NE India except Arunachal Pradesh. Eastern part of West Bengal and Odisha. Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
· Rainfall > 200 cm , Relative Humidity > 70%, Average temperature is about 24 degree C, Hot and humid climates.
· Height of trees is 40 to 60 m, Leaves are dark green and broad.
· Mahoguny, Mahua, bamboo, Cones, Ironwood, Kadam, Irul, Jamun, Hopea, Rubber Tree, Toon, Telsur etc.
Tropical Moist Deciduous forest in india :
· Eastern parts of Sahyadris (Western Ghats). North Eastern part of Peninsula. Middle and lower Ganga valley.
· 100 to 200 cm rainfall per annum . Moderate temperature.
· 30 to 40 m high trees. Due to deficiencecy of water ,they shed their leaves in spring (onset of summer).
· Sal, Teaks, Arjun, Mulberry, Kusum, Sandalwood, Siris, Haldi, Khair, Mango, Banyan tree etc.
Tropical Dry Deciduous forest in india :
· Large parts of Maharashtraand Andhra Pradesh. Parts of Punjub ,Haryana and Eastern parts of Rajasthan. Northern and Western parts of Madhya Pradesh. Tamil nadu, Southern parts of Uttar Pradesh.
· 50 to 100 cm rainfall, moderate humidity.
· 6 to 15 m high, Roots are thick and long.
· Teak, Sal, Bamboo, mango, Acacia, Neem, Shisham etc.
Dry Forests or Arid forest in india :
· Rajasthan and adjoining areas of Haryana, Gujarat, and Punjab. Rainshadow area of Peninsular India.
· Low rainfall (less than 50 cm per annum). Relative humidity is less.
· Thorny vegetation , Roots are very long, leaves are small.
· Cactus, Thorny bushes, Kikar, babool, Date plam, Acacia, Khair, Euphorbias etc.
Mountainous Forest or Himalayan forest in india :
· In Himalayan region.
· Due to increase of altitude the temperature decreases hence Himalayan forests contain all the varieties of world except equatorial forest.
· Each vegetation belt occurs at relatively 300 m more height in eastern Himalayas.
· Sal, Teak, Chir, Deodar, Oak, olive, chestnut, conifers, spruce and Lirch etc.
Get more important gk topic
in your mailbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.